German Trainee Programme (GTP) Software Engineer or similar
You will be part of ESA’s Software Systems Division (TEC-SW) which is responsible in the domain of software engineering and technology for embedded real-time flight software as well as ground systems software. In particular, the division covers software technology for development, verification and validation techniques for mission-critical software (real-time software embedded in spacecraft systems and payloads) as well as for ground facilities software, including electrical ground support equipment, test-benches, databases and simulation and modelling tools.Tasks: You will develop and maintain a Model Based Software Engineering (MBSE) reference case (and the associated spacecraft on-board software), based on the virtual spacecraft mission called “EagleEye”. The objective of the reference case is to allow the benchmark of MBSE tools and to study the transformations between model and tools, from requirements all the way down to code.
The reference case study has to become sufficiently mature to be used as an open source reference case, that can be used in future research and development projects of the European Space Agency as well as the national space agencies in Europe, overcoming the common problem of data confidentiality.
You will learn about spacecraft missions, the requirements and constraints of spacecraft on-board software, model based software development for embedded real-time software and will work on one or more of the following topics:
- analysis and consolidation of the inputs for the software from system and avionics level
- modelling of the case study at Software level considering the On-board Software Reference Architecture (OSRA, requires registration), built with model and component based software development approaches
- performing various analysis using the established models
- implementation of the reference case to execute the software binary on the test benches in the ESTEC SW technology lab
The case study shall be developed in the spirit of open source, such that national space agencies, industry and academic partners can use and contribute to it. The trainee shall support this process, stimulate its dissemination and support in the coordination of its evolution. The area of the activity being large, it will be adapted to your profile.
- familiar with the technical keywords and technics mentioned in task description
- coding skills in at least one major programming language (Java, C/C++, Ada)
- knowledge of software modelling tools is an asset
- German citizenship is absolutely necessary
- applicants should have just completed (conclusion not older than two years) or be in their final year of a university course at Master’s level in a technical or scientific discipline
- candidates must be fluent in English or French, the official languages of the Agency
Your start:We look forward to your e-mail application in English, citing GTP-2019-TEC-SWE to GTP@dlr.de. Closing date for this position is 6th September 2018. The interviews are tentatively scheduled for week 45/2018. Please visit the German Trainee Programme page for details of our application procedures. Your application should consist of a motivation letter and your CV only (CV exclusively in Europass format). Unfortunately we cannot consider further documents. Disabled applicants with equivalent qualifications will be given preferential treatment. If you have any initial questions, please feel free to contact Ms. Larissa Seidlez: firstname.lastname@example.org.